Thursday, January 18, 2007

Fear

Along with about 1800 people from my church, we are studying the NT in a daily study called The Journey (see link to the right). Each study follows a chapter, has a key verse, and a central truth. Today's study is Matthew 14. The key verse is: But Jesus immediately said to them: "Take courage! It is I. Don't be afraid.” (Matthew 14:27)

Each day's study includes a personal devotional written by a member of my church along with discussion questions. I like the questions offered today, because I think if taken to God in prayer, He'll show us the fears tucked away in our heart, replacing them with His truth. And peace, His peace, that passes all understanding, regardless of our circumstances.

DISCUSSION QUESTIONS (written by Jill):

1. Identify the areas in your life where you lack faith. Read through Matthew 14 and ask God to help you understand the kind of faith He wants you to have.

2. List what you are fearful of. Exchange each fear with a truth from God's word. Practice replacing faith for fear throughout your day.

3. What storm are you facing today? Pray to keep your eyes focused on Him, not your storm. List any positives that have already occurred. Share your storm with a trusted friend or family member.

4. Memorize Matthew 14:27.

4 Comments:

Blogger Blessed said...

Those are great questions.
I fear.
I try to let go.
He is in control yet I can't seem to
to totally let go.

I love this quote
"Fear not for I am with you"
I chant that to myself so many times in moments of fear, anxiety.
I do sometimes feel peace.
Sometimes I do not but I keep on chanting it hoping one day I will be able to get over my barriers....the biggest barrier being my own self.

8:14 PM, January 18, 2007  
Blogger Tom Bailey said...

A life,

Great idea thanks for sharing this.

"2. List what you are fearful of. Exchange each fear with a truth from God's word. Practice replacing faith for fear throughout your day."

I memorize key verses and put them on three by 5 cards to remind me:

"Memorize Matthew 14:27."


--

Blessed,

I have the picture of Jesus carrying a person with the missing footsteps.

12:10 PM, January 19, 2007  
Blogger A Life Inspired said...

Blessed, I think your focus is good. I've always heard, 'keep your eyes on your Problem Solver (God), not your problem(s). I think the more we turn to Him in trust, the lesser the fear comes.

3:24 PM, January 19, 2007  
Blogger A Life Inspired said...

Tom,

Good suggestion...after we graduate from school, it seems hard to remember some of the things that helped us to learn back then. Memory flash cards are a great idea.

3:25 PM, January 19, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home