Tuesday, January 02, 2007

The Heart of One in Iraq

A friend from high school was shipped to Iraq last Fall; he is a medic there. He sent this message, in quotations, Christmas Day...

"Hey everyone! Howdy and MERRY CHRISTMAS from Baqoubah, Forward Operations Base WARHORSE!!

FOB WARHORSE has been relatively calm today. Last night we had a Christmas cantata and worship service. I really missed my kids. Our oldest girl is 6 (already!) and quite the singer. She played an angel in a Christmas cantata at the little church we attend in Texas. My wife regularly sends mail and I'm amazed at how much both of the kids can write.. and draw! I think the girls inherited a little of dad's art/doodling gene along with a slight unibrow (but that's what tweezers are for) I called my wife. She is in Long Island with my inlaws. One daughter was already crawled up in bed with mommy.

I miss them so. We've had a few kids brought in. Gunshot wound to the head in most cases. The suspicion is the terrorists capture the family and threaten the adults: "Do as we say, tell us what we need to know etc or we will shoot this child". This is a hellish country."

.... me again: Please continue to pray for the safety of our soldiers and that God fills their hearts with His comfort as they miss the ones the love back home--and as they witness firsthand such ugliness up close. And that the people of this dark, 'hellish' country, might know the peace and love of Jesus. I remain in awe that God allowed me to live in a country founded by men who believed in Him. My freedom in America comes at the shed blood of soldiers who put on the armor of bravery and defend our country. My freedom from sin and eternal doom comes at the shed blood of Jesus my savior.

1 Comments:

Blogger Tom Bailey said...

That is a very postive letter to share from a person in a tough position. Great post. It reminds me to be grateful for what we have in our country.

3:15 PM, January 03, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home