Friday, December 15, 2006

A Christmas Gift for Jesus

Has anyone ever forgotten your birthday? I was born on Thanksgiving Day. For those born on or near a holiday, it’s a common occurrence to have your special day lost in the shuffle of the busyness. Or maybe a loved one forgot an anniversary or cause for celebration that was important to you. Being forgotten, or remembered as ‘an after thought’ can make one sad. I wonder if it makes Jesus sad to see the ones He loves so much, scurrying about preoccupied with so many things other than fellowship with, and service to, Him.

Two scriptures speak of the magnitude of the gift God gave us in Jesus. “The virgin will be with child and will give birth to a son, and they will call him Immanuel, which means ‘God with us,” (Matthew 1:23). And, “For God so loved the world (you and me) that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him, shall not perish, but have eternal life,” (John 3:16). Jesus, the gift God gave to us, His much loved children, came to be with us forever; and to be our Lord and our Savior. That is the single greatest gift we can ever receive. So, why is it, during the holidays, we need the reminder “remember Jesus is the reason for the Season.” We let ourselves get so busy and stressed out, we have little time to spend in fellowship, prayer, and praise with Christ? And sometimes we forget it’s His birthday.

When shopping during the holidays, many of us have that person on our list that is difficult to buy for. What do you give the Guy who not only has everything, but created everything?! Christmas is the celebration of Christ’s birth, but what can we possibly give Him that is ‘the perfect gift’?!

Jesus tells us Himself, “For I was hungry and you gave me something to eat, I was thirsty and you gave me something to drink, I was a stranger, and you invited me in, I needed clothes and you clothed me, I was sick and you looked after me, I was in prison, and you came to visit me. … I tell you the truth, whatever you did for one of the least of these brothers of mine, you did for me,” (Matthew 25:35-36, 40). We give to Christ when we give to others. So this Christmas season, and throughout the year, dedicate yourself to giving. Afterall, God blesses us continuously. There are so many opportunities to give to Jesus by serving others! Ask God to show you how you can better serve your family and friends. How can you impact your community for Jesus’ glory? Do you know a person or family struggling just to have the basics like food, electricity and shelter? Give them a card with a giftcard to lighten their load. Buy a few extra non-perishables on sale each week and donate to a local food pantry. Do you have limited financial resources? Clean out your closets donating items much needed by people with so much less. Spend time with someone who is lonely and possibly forgotten by others. Organize a blood drive in your community or at work. Ask God to fill your heart to overflow for His people, to let His grace and mercy flow through you to reach the lost and hurting in your community of influence.

“A gift opens the way for the giver and ushers him into the presence of the great,” (Proverbs 18:16). What will be your gift to Jesus?

1 Comments:

Blogger Moggy said...

Good thoughts. My Dad's birthday is Nov 25th and sometimes comes on Thanksgiving.

6:23 PM, December 15, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home