Monday, December 04, 2006

My Maggie Mae

My beagle turned 14 yesterday. We celebrated all day with extra loving hugs, kind words, and doggie treats. I've had her since she was a puppy, just a few weeks old. And we've had such a special bond since the first nite I got her.

I've learned a lot about unconditional love from her. Regardless of the late nights I worked and kept her waiting for dinner, she always greeted me enthusiastically with complete forgiveness. She finds joy in such simple pleasures. Going to the mailbox with me, on an errand in the car, or when company arrives. She lets everyone know how happy she is. When she hurts or becomes sick, she draws near to me for protection. She reminds me of my relationship with God. Whenever I hit a rough spot, I draw near Him for protection and care. I think it possible that God created dogs to teach us unconditional love, because it sure does not come naturally for us. It's been said their name 'dog' mirrors God, because He created them to mirror His love to us. She's taught me to be less selfish, which is a good thing. And I really love taking her for a walk and watching her interact with nature as she sniffs out new adventures.

Some times I'm glad she can't talk. She has experienced a lot with me and has a lot of great blackmail material! At sad times in my life, she has come to my side and lay quietly while I wept. Dogs are naturally man's best friend.

When she was 4.5 years old, she became epileptic. At 6 years, she had a ruptured disc in her back. Some people have thought me goofy because I took her to a vet that could help her heal. After her surgery, she kept me from stepping on a water moccasin. And then another. And another! They were all on our patio, just outside the door. I always felt like God let me save her, so she could save me!

I love my little dog very much and I count her among the many blessings in my life!

4 Comments:

Blogger Moggy said...

That is really sweet.

I hope that Maggie Mae has many more years of health left.

6:26 PM, December 04, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ol' Maggie Mae!! What a great pooch! I sure hope she has found it in her heart to forgive me for the "couch incident". I was so used to Jack and El Fango that I forgot just how small, and light, she is!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Maggie Mae!!

12:54 PM, December 05, 2006  
Blogger A Life Inspired said...

Maggie is very forgiving if doggie treats are involved. Actually, she is just forgiving. But she really loves doggie treats! Your mention of 'the couch incident' made me laugh. Can you imagine what she thought as she flew off the couch... "What the heck?! I thought you liked me!"

1:14 PM, December 05, 2006  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Jo Ann says,
I love Maggie Mae! Hope she has many happy years left!
Love her and her owner!
Congratulations to you both on her 14th birthday. Love your blog.

12:12 PM, December 06, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home