Tuesday, November 21, 2006

This Light of Mine

In my readings this week, I keep noticing a recurring theme jump out...."LIGHT" ... and as I ask God what He wants me to understand from this, I remember something my pastor said earlier this year. Darkness cannot overcome light. And to prove this fact, you need to only walk into a dark room and flip the light switch, or turn on a flashlight, or light a candle. No matter how big or small the light, darkness cannot overcome it.

For some reason, I've stumbled across this passage several times this week,
"The Lord is God and He has made His light shine upon us." (Psalm 118:27)

I think this means that God keeps us in His protective care. That nothing, no problem or challenge – no darkness, will ever be too big for Him. Fear, shame and uncertainty hide in darkness. In God's light, there is purity, protection and holiness ... and He blankets us with it. He uses this light to guide us. To show us His will for us. And to remind us of His presence.

And I'm reminded of a childhood song, "This little light of mine, I'm gonna let it shine..." I think God wants us to be energized by His light and to let our light shine into the dark corners of our world.

1 Comments:

Blogger Shae said...

Your post reminds me of something I learned while helping direct an elementary church camp a few years ago. We were all standing around the campfire...and during a story very similar to this, we were all asked to turn our backs to the fire and then take a step forward away from the fire...and then another step away...and another...and another...etc...until we were all in the dark and the cold...it was very effective to the kids. The campfire was "God" and how he leads us to the light and if you let him, He'll lead you to it every time. Good memories..thanks, Alva!

~shae

9:54 PM, November 21, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home