Monday, November 13, 2006

Legacy Lives

In May, I learned my friend David had died. His friendship had a profound affect on my life; I could always so clearly see God's intersecting our lives over the years, each time significantly. It was my sophomore year crush on him that I discovered writing; he was a reporter on my high school paper (I didn't know we had a paper until I first saw him delivering it!). It was my writing, and work at the local newspaper where I became friends with the girl he would meet through me, and later marry. I was in their wedding. At his funeral, I was so blessed to hear story after story of how David had had a profound impact on the lives of so many others...in his career as an architect, in his service to his church, his loving devotion to his son and his wife of almost 20 years, and in his personal relationship with Jesus. Although to us, David's life was cut so devastatingly short, he lived a life that made a true difference to others.

In September, I learned my friend Neil had died. I met Neil in 4th grade when I transferred to a new school. At our high school reunion in June, he was telling Dave how he can still remember the day he saw me all those years ago. Neil was a handsome, gifted athlete. At the end of our 8th grade year, playing pitcher on a baseball team, he was hit in the head by a ball and we almost lost him. His injury was significant, but when he returned to school in the fall, he was even more kind and loving than before. Neil was always voted our class favorite because of his friendliness; he had that rare gift that when he spoke to you, he made you feel as though you were a very special treasure. At his funeral, I was overwhelmed, a real collision of emotions, as I came face-to-face with so many people from our youth. Some I had not seen since 8th grade. As I looked into the tear-stained faces of his pallbearers, guys from our childhood, I realized that when Neil made friends, he made them for life.

Saying 'Goodbye' to friends of more than 30 years is painful; when they are young like this, it is especially hard to do so. I know that God has a plan for each life, and that includes the moment that He calls each of us home. So, I didn't ask God "why" he took them, I asked him what I could learn from them. He reminded me that each life has a purpose to be fulfilled and to live in such a way as to make a difference in the lives of others. I am blessed to know that two people God allowed me to meet at such a young age, lived lives that impacted so many others in such a positive way. I am so thankful they were my friends.

David and Neil lived legacy lives. And I am inspired by them!

1 Comments:

Blogger Moggy said...

I have been to some people's funerals and it was really inspirational to hear about their lives. I hope that when I go there will be people who have good thoughts of me.

I like the way you express yourself, you really are a writer.

9:45 PM, November 13, 2006  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home