Thursday, May 31, 2007

On This Day in History...

Who comes up with these things?!

Go to Wikipedia and for the search subject type in the month and date of your birth (not year). What major events have happened throughout history on the day you were destined to be born?

Here are a few of mine...

YEAR/EVENT
800 - Charlemagne arrives at Rome to examine the alleged crimes of Pope Leo III.
(I listed this one because it is the oldest event recorded for my date.)


1654 - French mathematician, scientist, and religious philosopher Blaise Pascal experiences an intense mystical vision that marks him for life.

1869 - In Dumbarton, Scotland, the clipper Cutty Sark is launched - one of the last clippers ever to be built, and the only one still surviving to this day.
(I do love to be on, near, or in the water!)

1889 - The first jukebox goes into operation at the Palais Royale Saloon in San Francisco.
(Possibly explains my love of music with a glass of wine!)

1890 - King William III of the Netherlands dies without a male heir and a special law is passed to allow his daughter Princess Wilhelmina to become Queen.
(Alright! A woman in power! :-)

1914 - The US Army retreats from Mexico.
(I guess Spring Break was celebrated later in the year back then!)

PEOPLE WHO HAVE SHARED MY BIRTHDAY
912 - Otto I the Great, Holy Roman Emperor (d. 973)

1718 - Edward Teachor 'Black Beard' famous pirate
(Arrrgggh!)

1859 - Billy The Kid, American outlaw (d. 1881(?))
(Hmmm...maybe explains my rebellious streak!)

1887 - Boris Karloff, British actor (d. 1969)
(Yikes! His movies always scared me as a kid!)

1888 - Harpo Marx, American comedian (d. 1964)
(I like a good joke! And especially like physical comedy.)

1929 - Hal Lindsey, American evangelist and Christian writer
(Closer to home; he attended Dallas Theological Seminary.)

1935 - Vladislav Volkov, Soviet cosmonaut (d. 1971)
(Well, yes, I have been accused of being spacey at times.)

Hrrrrrmmmppggh! There is no mention of my birthday, nor anyone else in my year (which of course is several decades AFTER Vladislav's birthday)! How offensive! :-)

1992 - Miley Cyrus, American actress and singer (Hannah Montana)
(She is Billy Ray's daughter; I have had some achy breaky hearts, but never a true mullet!)

2 Comments:

Blogger Moggy said...

Inspired - Unless I misunderstood you. Happy Birthday.

3:13 PM, May 31, 2007  
Blogger A Life Inspired said...

Ah, that is sweet, but it's not my birthday...I just keyed in my b-day to see what that day (my date of birth) in history has brought the world, other than me.

3:32 PM, May 31, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home