Thursday, May 17, 2007

Community Garden

I've gotten involved with a community garden. It's a new garden that rose up from an old parking lot. We can keep anything we grow, but are asked to donate any surplus to the Food Pantry. They help people in need and 30% of their customers are diabetic and in great need of affordable nutritious foods. Most of our garden harvest will go to the pantry. It's very rewarding to work on this project!

Being a community garden, we're meeting some really neat people from diverse backgrounds. From girl scouts to retirees, engineers to firemen, computer geeks to school teachers, we're an eclectic group! And we're having so much fun learning from and getting to know each other!

This week, we're preparing for our grand opening Saturday. We'll have a ribbon cutting, refreshments, lots of balloons, and a whole lot of fun! Our arbor was just built, as you can see from the photo below, after that photo was taken, we've added a lot of pretty potted plants. Last nite was really cool...almost all the gardeners were there, setting up, planting trees and flowers, working in their gardens. High enthusiasm among this group!


Gary prepares the soil, creating a planting area from the old parking lot.


Our new Arbor!




I'm usually behind the lens, so Al got me when I didn't know he had a camera!





Labels: , ,

4 Comments:

Blogger Moggy said...

Everything looks great. I can smell that fresh dirt. I actually like the smell of dirt and hey it's brown ;-)

9:06 PM, May 17, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the sweet comments.
Your garden looks fantastic! I'll definitely bookmark your site. I'm sure you can teach me a few things! :o)
BTW, your roses are absolutely stunning. I really liked the flowers on the brick wall, I'll have to remember that one.

6:11 PM, May 18, 2007  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank you for the nice comments.
You have a fantastic gardens. I love the green tomatoes! yum!!
The roses are stunning and I love the flowers on the brick wall. I'll have to remember that one.
I'm definitely bookmarking your site.

6:12 PM, May 18, 2007  
Blogger Sista Cala said...

Call me when those maters are ready for harvest.

9:01 PM, May 27, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home