Thursday, April 05, 2007

A Secret Faith Revealed

Sunday, our pastor Pete was teaching from John 18-19 and I learned something I hadn't understood before.

In the hours of Jesus' suffering and eventual death on the Cross, people were very fearful. Of all the people who had believed Him to be the Messiah, only a few were there with Him while He paid the penalty on the Cross for us.

But this is what I found so interesting--and inspiring. There were two men who were believers of Jesus, but had been fearful of living their faith in a way that others knew they were Christians. Joseph of Arimathea and Nicodemus. Yet at the time when it was most unpopular and dangerous to be a follower of Christ, they stepped forward, out of the 'closet of their faith' and their actions were recorded for all of eternity in the Bible.

"Later, Joseph of Arimathea asked Pilate for the body of Jesus. Now Joseph was a disciple of Jesus, but secretly because he feared the Jews. With Pilate's permission, he came and took the body away. He was accompanied by Nicoemus, the man who earlier had visited Jesus at night. Nicodemus brought a mixture of myrrh and aloes, about seventy-five pounds. Taking Jesus' body, the two of them wrapped it, with the spices, in strips of linen. This was in accordance with Jewish burial customs. At the place where Jesus was crucified, there was a garden, and in the garden a new tomb, in which no one had ever been laid." (John 19:38-41, NIV).

Where did their sudden confidence come from? They'd just seen the terrible beating Jesus had innocently endured. Surely they were still very fearful. Yet somehow, they decided to act in spite of their fear, to honor Jesus. I find that very inspiring. Pete also pointed out that the 75 pounds of spices Nicodemus brought were the burial preparations generally reserved for a King. They were preparing Christ's body for a King's burial--they recognized who He was and were not afraid to do so publicly.

I wonder how many people today believe in Jesus, but are not comfortable sharing Him with others? They live a private faith. But in Matthew 28, Jesus asks us to go into the world and tell everyone about Him. Will you?

Labels: , , ,

7 Comments:

Blogger Moggy said...

I didn't know that either. I may have heard it and it didn't sink in, but thanks for the recap.

11:26 PM, April 05, 2007  
Blogger Sincerity said...

Thank you for sharing your insight! That is so true! And its also encouraging to know that we could have the smallest faith and lots of fear and STILL God can use us to do great things for His glory!

Have a wonderful Easter!!

1:33 AM, April 08, 2007  
Blogger Moggy said...

Are you going to blog some more this winter when you can't be working in the garden?

6:43 PM, April 19, 2007  
Blogger Blessed said...

"I wonder how many people today believe in Jesus, but are not comfortable sharing Him with others? They live a private faith. But in Matthew 28, Jesus asks us to go into the world and tell everyone about Him. Will you?"

You know Mrs. Inspired, I love to share my faith and can't do it often enough, but it is amazing just how many times I have to put my 'brakes' on and keep somethings to myself. It's not that I am afraid, that's not the case, it's becuz sooooooooooooooooo many do not want to hear it!!! I don't know if it's becuz they don't believe, or if they are afraid or if they feel they aren't living their life like maybe they should.

I wish so badly I had more people around me so I could share. I feel I keep my love, my excitement bottled up (somewhat). I do believe that is why I luckily found your blog and your inspiration. Thanks for that.
Many blessing to you!!!

5:40 PM, April 22, 2007  
Blogger A Life Inspired said...

Hi Sincerity, True, God meets us right where we are and gives us the tools or strength we need to accomplish the plans He has for us!

12:23 AM, April 25, 2007  
Blogger A Life Inspired said...

Moggy, I hope the garden hasn't washed away with alll of these heavy rains. Hopefully our lake levels are being restored after last years drought!

12:23 AM, April 25, 2007  
Blogger A Life Inspired said...

Blessed. I know. It took me a long time to realize people were only rejecting the message, not the messenger. Sad, because there is so much hope and inspiration to be found in a relationship with Jesus; He changed my life! I bet your light shines on more people than you realize.

12:26 AM, April 25, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home