Friday, July 13, 2007

John Travolta, You've Come A Long Way, Baby!


The remake of the movie, Hairspray, opens soon. For some reason, the role of Edna Tumblad has always been played by a guy. When I saw the musical, the role was hysterically played by the overweight guy from the last episode of Seinfeld (you know the one they laughed at and got arrested because of The Good Samaritan law); he's a very talented actor!

John Travolta reprises the role of Edna in this movie version. ..... My, from Sweathog Vinny Barbarino to Edna Tumblad, you've come along way, Baby!


As a teen, I had a crush on Vinny Barbarino, the hunky, but dense Sweathog on Welcome Back Kotter. (In looking at old clips from that show, I'm reminded just why I love Seinfeld so much!) He came to Dallas on some kind of promotional tour when he was just getting started in this role. I was about 15 and went to see him.


We got him to sing "Babarino" which he seemed to enjoy doing for us! Ron Pallilo (Horshack) seen behind him doesn't look very interested in watching the dance.
Yeah, you remember this song, right?!


And of course, this autographed photo was a delight!

Labels: , , , ,

5 Comments:

Blogger Moggy said...

Wow, yes John Travolta was "as Paris Hilton would say" Hot ;-)

10:36 AM, July 14, 2007  
Blogger Patterson Tweed said...

Autographed photo?
I have one of Pee Wee Herman, which is more valuable?

4:47 PM, July 18, 2007  
Blogger Patterson Tweed said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

4:49 PM, July 18, 2007  
Blogger Sincerity said...

Hey girlfriend! Its been a crazy busy summer for me but I'm getting ready to jump back onto the treadmill of working, teaching, working, teaching...

That's an amazing experience you've got there! Take good care of that photo! Its really valuable!

11:37 PM, July 29, 2007  
Blogger Moggy said...

I believe I see the Chicken Dance in this video ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cy3IkXrgv3I

10:05 PM, August 08, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home