Monday, February 05, 2007

A Perfect Day

Don't you love it when a day unfolds with wonderful unexpected surprises? Yesterday was a day like that for me.

After church, Dave and I spent time outdoors. We had nothing planned, but finally after all the clouds, cold, rain, ice, and snow, we had a warm and sunny day that beckoned us outside. We planted seeds for tomatoes and jalapeno peppers; we're going to have a little garden this year! We also worked in the yard, then went to a nearby nature preserve for a walk.

Later we stopped by a friend's place. He had invited us over, but didn't tell us, or his family, that we'd all be there. These are amazing people in my life. We met over 30 years ago. They are all originally from Colombia and some of my favorite people on this planet. My friend's aunt instantly recognized me, although she hasn't seen me in 31 years. When we all saw each other, it was such a rush of memories, emotions, hugs, and everyone talking at once!

I met my friend and his sister when they were still living in Miami, just visiting his Aunt, Uncle, and cousins for the summer. There were 5 of us, Lina, Orlando, Donnie, Jerry, and me. That magical summer before any of us were old enough to work; the next year, we all had jobs. But that summer, we lived all day at the pool, and at night on the front porch of one of our homes talking until our parents all called us in. This summer, it will be 30 years ago that we met. And the friendships that began when we were so young, have lasted 3 decades now. Some friends come into our lives for a season. Others, become such an integral part, with a watermark on our heart. I know that we all share a love for God, and each other. We are all such big fans of each other; and always have been. There is something remarkable about friendships like this and I feel so blessed to have such amazing people in my life. It was a really special day!

What kind of wonderful surprises transformed an ordinary day in your life to one of such excitement, joy, and warmth?

6 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

It sounds like a woderful time. I really like it when my day has unexpected surprises too. Like fresh flowers from my husband delivered at work. A beautiful sunset I find time to watch, or a phone call from an old friend that can last an hour.

I found your blog on 'next blog'
Maria

11:10 PM, February 05, 2007  
Blogger Sincerity said...

Some friends do enter our lives only for a season. Its sometimes hard to let them go. I often wonder about past friends and hope they're doing well.
But God knows when we need someone " fresh" in our lives. I think that at times I am a friend that another person needs.
And the truth it that no one knows how deeply their life will touch others.

12:41 AM, February 06, 2007  
Blogger A Life Inspired said...

Hi Sincerity, I think it's sometimes good, and fun, to look up old friends. You never know, maybe God brings them to mind because they need to hear a kind word from an old friend.

11:40 AM, February 06, 2007  
Blogger Blessed said...

Not everyday, but quite frequent little things happen to just brighten up my day.
Alot of times it's talking to patients as I check them out from the office which I work.
So many people, thru there illnesses spread a little sunshine by being so sweet. Telling little stories of their lives. Like one man telling me how he served in Germany with Elvis. Or another man telling me how he saw Elvis in concert in the 50's. Or this one couple who sat and told me of their excursions out west and they aren't retired. Or this one lady who is originally from England, and her sweet nature and her wonderful accent, just her being a ray of sunshine.
Or this young lady I know who I call Sarah Sunshine becuz she is always so positive, prayerful, caring and loving. I want to be more like her.
I could go on and on about some of the wonderful people who brighten my sometimes stressful days.
I also have to mention that even people when they are ugly, make me realize just how I need to be kinder to them. Even tho my first instinct is to snap back. I try so hard to see the image of God in EVERYONE and sometimes that is hard but then at that moment I realize that God is again talking to me. Before I didn't even try.

6:39 PM, February 06, 2007  
Blogger A Life Inspired said...

Blessed, it sounds like you encounter some inspiring people throughout your work week. I bet you bless them too!

10:09 PM, February 06, 2007  
Blogger Blessed said...

Hello Inspired---did you see my reply on my blog re: templates and such?

6:27 PM, February 07, 2007  

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home